An Acceptable Reference

14.09.2014


Breaking Bad, “Over” (2.10).

It was an unexpected and recent discovery. I found out that The Unacceptable, edited by John Potts and John Scannel (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), contains a chapter by Elliot Logan on Breaking Bad (2008-2013) that uses one of the concepts that I have developed in my doctoral thesis: the varied repetition of sequenced units and motifs in television series. Logan also employs the concept of performance motifs, one of the types of motifs that I describe, in his essay untitled “Unacceptability and Prosaic Life in Breaking Bad”. It is a joy to see such a reference and to know that my work on the aesthetics of television fiction series is helpful to others researchers, providing insights into the structure of these works.